Before contacting us, please check if your question is already covered by the below Frequently Asked Questions list:
- How many residence units can this system support?
- Unlimited, our system is hosted in Google cloud with infinite expandability.
- How many buildings can this system support?
- Unlimited, and no additional monthly fees are required for having multiple buildings.
- How many doors or gates can this system support?
- Unlimited and no additional monthly fees are required for having multiple doors or gates.
- Do I get software upgrades when new features are released?
- Yes, some new features will be free upgrades while others may incur additional charges. You should, however, disable the automatic update of all apps to prevent accidental exiting of the system due to unexpected app updates.
- How many residents can access the system?
- We do not set a limit but the average US household size is 2.2 including kids, so the total number of residents should be around 2.2 times the number of units. We may investigate properties with inconceivably high resident to space ratios.
- Do you sell the tablet, the wireless relay, the electric strike, the maglock, etc?
- No, we do not sell ANY hardware directly as this system is based on an open platform concept using off the shelf components. Please see the various hardware product links on our Tutorial page to make purchases directly from the various suppliers.
- Can I use an iPad as the tablet?
- No, Android tablets are much more cost effective and comes in a much wider variety of models.
- Does each resident need to purchase any additional hardware to access the system?
- No, they only need a smartphone (iOS or Android) and download our free app to receive video calls. Non-smartphone and landline users will receive voice only calls.
- How does the resident or visitor open the door?
Do you support both the iPhone and Android phones?
- At the door, by entering their Access Code.
- At the door, by swiping a NFC smart card on NFC capable entry boxes.
- At the door, by scanning a preauthorized QR code.
- At the door, using a RFID card, Keyfob, or vehicle mounted RFID sticker for entries equipped with our Raspberry Pi based Single Entry Controller and a Wiegand compatible RFID short / long range reader.
- When called by their visitor and is using a smartphone, by pressing the Open Door button on the app.
- When called by their visitor and is NOT using a smartphone, by pressing *1 on their phone's keypad.
Which tablet do you recommend?
How do I mount the tablet to the wall?
- Yes, our free phone app is available for both iOS and Android devices.
How do I prevent users from existing the tablet entry app?
- We have partnered with several enclosure makers to provide various tablet mounting enclosures. Please see our Tutorial page for more info. If you are interested in supplying us with your own tablet mounting solutions, please contact us.
How hot can the temperature get before the system shuts down?
- The exiting of any active Android app requires swiping inwards from past the edge of the screen, so the rectangular cutouts on the mounting boxes are purposely cut slightly less than the vertical size of the tablet screen, thus preventing users from exiting the app. Simple, effective, smart.
How do I prevent theft and vandalism of the tablet?
- The tablet manufacturers rated the tablet's operating temperatures from 32F to 105F. We have tested our system up to 115F but recommends adhering to the manufacturer's suggested temperatures. If the entry box will be directly exposed to the sun, you will need to install a hood to protect the box from overheating. Please see our Tutorial page for more info. Here is our High Temperature Testing Video 1 and High Temperature Testing Video 2.
- For locations colder than 32F, a Thin Film Heater and a thermometer relay is required to prevent controller shutdown. Please see our Tutorial page for more info.
How do I manage the residents, entries, schedules and access rules?
- You can use any Android tablet, some models are more vandal proof than others. You can also add tempered glass screen protectors to further protect the tablet. However, nothing can give you 100% protection to purposeful vandalism such as a swing from a baseball bat, this is also true for any other entry systems on the market. Our system allows you to replace a damaged tablet very quickly and inexpensively while replacement parts from other proprietary manufactured units can be very expensive and you must wait for a trained professional to replace the damaged parts, adding more costs and prolonged system downtime. Adding a surveillance camera system can also serve as a deterrent to vandalism.
What is the HTML code to incorporate the Community Manager into my website for private labeling?
- The full functionality of the system is managed by accessing our web based Community Portal from anywhere with Internet.
What happens to the controller when the Internet goes down?
- <iframe width="1024" height="768" frameborder="0" src="http://manage.smartentrysystems.com"></iframe>
- Here is a sample HTML file containing the code: Private Label
The $50 minimum monthly fee is still too much for my tiny project, can I get the system for free?
- The ability for the tablet to make calls will be disabled, however, existing access codes, QR codes, and NFC smart cards will continue to work as usual. No updates to access codes, QR, codes, NFC smart cards, schedules, and residents list can be sent to the tablet by our cloud server until your Internet connection is restored. Similarly for the Raspberry Pi controller, existing cards will continue to function with no updates being pushed to the controller.
Will you support Z-Wave®, ZigBee®, Wi-Fi®, Lutron® Clear Connect® based devices?
- Yes, if your tiny project only requires a maximum of just 5 residents or less, the demo account is completely functional and 100% free to use. We hope that you will bring us larger projects in the future.
Can you add this special feature that I must have in order to sell this system to my customer?
- Possibly, this feature is under review and is being considered for future development.
- Maybe, please contact us and describe your feature requirements below.
Please fill out the below contact form if you have other questions not covered by the above FAQ, additionally you can also email us directly at Info@SmartEntrySystems.com.